Week 5 - Equal Rites

Equal Rites 

This week I began Terry Pratchett's Discworld book Equal Rites. I really enjoy the book so far for how it uses Pratchett's trademark humor to deal with feminist issues without feeling like he's trying to beat the reader over the head with social justice, as can be the case (in my experience) with some other books/films that deal with witches in a feminist context. I thought it was especially fun that Esk isn't shunned because she is a witch, but rather because she isn't a witch, which isn't proper for a magic-wielding young lady because it's "just not done." I also am always impressed with Pratchett's ability to introduce a new logic of culture and magic to almost every new book in the Discworld universe, while still making the universe feel like it is connected and makes sense. Esk's trip to the Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork was especially fun to see as I have read the Guards series of the Discworld novels, where we only get an outside glimpse at the University. 

Comments

Popular Posts